untouchable[un tuc̸h′ə bəl]
untouchable definition by Webster's New World
that cannot or should not be touched
- an untouchable person or thing
- in India, any member of the lowest castes, whose touch was regarded as defiling to higher-caste Hindus: discrimination against these people (now called Scheduled Castes) was officially abolished in 1955
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- untouchability noun
untouchable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not to be touched.
- Out of reach; unobtainable.
- Being beyond the reach of criticism, impeachment, or attack.
- Loathsome or unpleasant to the touch.
A member of the class that is excluded from and considered unclean and defiling by the four Hindu castes.
- un·touchˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- un·touchˈa·bly adverb