untouchable[un tuc̸h′ə bəl]
- an untouchable person or thing
- in India, any member of the lowest castes, whose touch was regarded as defiling to higher-caste Hindus: discrimination against these people (now called Scheduled Castes) was officially abolished in 1955
- untouchability noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Not to be touched.
- Out of reach; unobtainable.
- Being beyond the reach of criticism, impeachment, or attack.
- Loathsome or unpleasant to the touch.
- un·touchˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- un·touchˈa·bly adverb