untouchable[un tuc̸h′ə bəl]
that cannot or should not be touched
- an untouchable person or thing
- in India, any member of the lowest castes, whose touch was regarded as defiling to higher-caste Hindus: discrimination against these people (now called Scheduled Castes) was officially abolished in 1955
- a. Not permitted to be touched: an untouchable idol.b. Not capable of being touched or reached: an untouchable tennis serve.
- a. Not permitted to be discussed: an untouchable subject.b. Not subject or susceptible to criticism, rebuke, or attack: an appointee who was untouchable because of his political connections.c. Not capable of being affected, especially adversely: bacteria that are untouchable by an antibiotic.d. Not permitted to be altered: an untouchable religious text.e. Not capable of being rivaled or surpassed: an untouchable skier.f. Baseball Not giving up any hits. Used of a pitcher.
- Relating to or being the Dalit class in traditional Indian society.
(comparative more untouchable, superlative most untouchable)
- Not able to be touched.