- The definition of inviolable is something that has to be kept sacred, or that is unable to be broken or dishonored.
A solemn vow of love by a true gentlemen who never disappoints is an example of an inviolable vow.
inviolable definition by Webster's New World
- not to be violated; not to be profaned or injured; sacred: an inviolable promise
- that cannot be violated; indestructible: the inviolable heavens
Origin: Middle French ; from Classical Latin inviolabilis
inviolable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Secure from violation or profanation: an inviolable reliquary deep beneath the altar.
- Impregnable to assault or trespass; invincible: fortifications that made the frontier inviolable.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin inviolābilis : in-, not; see in-1 + violāre, to violate; see violate.
- in·viˌo·la·bilˈi·ty, in·viˈo·la·ble·ness noun
- in·viˈo·la·bly adverb