- Biol. single; unpaired: said of a chromosome
- Chem. monovalent (sense 2)
Origin of univalentuni- + -valent
- Chemistry a. Having valence 1, regardless of whether the valence is positive or negative.b. Having only one valence.
- Genetics Of or relating to a chromosome that is not paired or united with its homologous chromosome during synapsis.
- Immunology Having only one site of attachment. Used of an antibody or antigen.
- Immunology Containing antigens from a single strain of a microorganism or virus. Used of a vaccine or serum.
A univalent chromosome.
- (genetics) Any univalent chromosome.
uni- +"Ž -valent