- a mollusk having a one-piece shell, as a snail
- such a one-piece shell
Origin of univalveuni- + valve
- designating or having a one-piece shell
- having one valve onlyalso u′ni·valved·
- Having a shell consisting of a single valve or piece. Used of a mollusk.
- Composed of a single valve or piece. Used of a shell.
A univalve mollusk; a gastropod.
- A univalve mollusk or its shell.
The term univalve is now considered outdated in scientific classification, and the term gastropod is preferred.
Originated 1655-65 from uni- (“one") +"Ž valve.