An undertaker with a display of coffins.
- The definition of an undertaker is a mortician or someone in the business of readying dead bodies for a funeral and setting up and conducting a funeral.
A man who runs a funeral home, plans the funeral, embalms the dead person and oversees the funeral is an example of an undertaker.
- a person who undertakes something
- funeral director: a somewhat old-fashioned usage
- See funeral director.
- One who undertakes a task or job.
- A funeral director; someone whose business is to manage funerals, burials and cremations
- (historical) a person receiving land in Ireland during the Elizabethan era, so named because they gave an undertaking to abide by several conditions regarding loyalty to the crown, marriage, and using English as their spoken language.