- The definition of twelfth is something that is preceded by eleven others.
If there are 11 people in front of you, this is an example of a time when you are the twelfth.
- Twelfth is the one after the eleventh, or is 1/12 of anything that is divided into 12 equal parts.
If a pie is cut into twelve pieces and you are given one of the pieces, this is an example of when you are given a twelfth.
- preceded by eleven others in a series; 12th
- designating any of the twelve equal parts of something
Origin of twelfthMiddle English twelfthe ; from Old English twelfta: see twelve and amp; -th
- the one following the eleventh
- any of the twelve equal parts of something;
- The ordinal number matching the number 12 in a series.
- One of 12 equal parts.
Origin of twelfthMiddle English twelfthe, alteration of Old English twelfta; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.
- 12th, 12th; (in names of monarchs and popes) XII