- The definition of transverse is to go from side to side or to extend across something.
When a beam goes across your entire deck, this is an example of a situation where the beam transverses the deck.
This bridge transvverses the river.
- lying, situated, placed, etc. across; crossing from side to side
- Geom. designating the axis that passes through the foci of a hyperbola, or the part of that axis between the vertices
Origin of transverseClassical Latin transversus, past participle of transvertere: see traverse
- a transverse part, beam, etc.
- Geom. a transverse axis
Origin of transverseLatin trānsversus, from past participle of trānsvertere, to turn across : trāns, trans- + vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more transverse, superlative most transverse)
- (lying across): longitudinal
transverse - Computer Definition
At a right angle, i.e., 90 degree angle. Crosswise, or perpendicular. See also normal.
To cross from side to side.