tongue twistertongue twister
a phrase or sentence that is hard to say fast, usually because of alliteration or a sequence of nearly similar sounds (Ex.: six sick sheiks)
- A word or group of words difficult to articulate rapidly, usually because of a succession of similar consonantal sounds, as in Shall she sell seashells?
- Something difficult to pronounce.
(plural tongue twisters)
- Alternative form of tongue-twister.
- A phrase that is deliberately designed to be difficult to say correctly, usually because of varying combinations of similar phonemes.
- “Red lorry, yellow lorry" and “Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" are well-known tongue-twisters.