tonguing definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
the use of the tongue in playing a musical wind instrument, esp. for more accurate intonation of rapid notes
tonguing definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Movement of the tongue in order to articulate notes on a brass or wind instrument.
Variant of tongue
- the movable muscular structure attached to the floor of the mouth in most vertebrates: it is an important organ in the ingestion of food, the perception of taste, and, in humans, the articulation of speech sounds
- an analogous part in invertebrate animals; specif.,
- a radula
- the proboscis in certain insects, as bees
- an animal's tongue used as food
- the human tongue as the organ of speech
- ideas expressed by speaking; talk; speech
- the act or power of speaking
- a manner or style of speaking, with reference to tone, diction, etc.: a glib tongue
- a language or dialect
- in the Bible, a nation or people speaking a distinct language: Rev. 7:9
- the cry of a hunting dog, etc. in sight of game: chiefly in , to start barking
- something resembling a tongue in shape, position, movement, or use; specif.,
- the flap under the laces or strap of a shoe
- the clapper of a bell
- the pin of a buckle, etc.
- the pole of a wagon, etc.
- the projecting tenon of a tongue-and-groove joint
- in machines, a projecting flange, rib, etc.
- a thin strip of flexible material, as cane, that produces a musical sound when vibrated, as in a wind instrument
- a narrow strip of land, ice, etc. extending into a body of water, an intrusion, etc.
- a narrow inlet of water
- a long, narrow flame
- the pointer of a scale, etc.
Origin: Middle English tunge ; from Old English akin to German zunge ; from Indo-European base an unverified form dṇĝhū-, tongue from source Classical Latin lingua (OL dingua)
transitive verb tongued, tonguing
- to reproach or scold
- to speak or say
- to touch, lick, etc. with the tongue
- to cut a tongue (sense ) on or in
- to join by means of a tongue-and-groove joint
- Music to play by tonguing
- Rare to talk or talk much
- to project like a tongue
- Music to use tonguing