- a method of dyeing designs on cloth or thread by tightly tying bunches of it as with waxed thread so that the dye affects only exposed parts
- cloth so decorated or a design so made
transitive verb-·dyed·, -·dye·ing
to dye in this way
transitive verbtie-dyed, tie-dye·ing, tie-dyes
To dye (fabric) after tying parts of the fabric so that they will not absorb dye, giving the fabric a streaked or mottled look.
- The process of tie-dyeing.
- A tie-dyed fabric or garment.
(third-person singular simple present tie-dyes, present participle tie-dyeing, simple past and past participle tie-dyed)
- To tie strings around (fabric or clothing) and then dye it, in such a manner that the tied parts do not get colored.
- A shirt that has been tie-dyed.
- I threw on jeans and a tie-dye and went to the concert.