- The definition of a template is a pattern used for forming something exactly.
An example of a template is a dress pattern.
A dress pattern is a template.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a pattern, usually in the form of a thin plate of metal, wood, plastic, etc., for forming an accurate copy of an object or shape
- a short stone or timber placed under a beam to help distribute the pressure
- a beam for supporting joists over an open space, as a doorway
- Biochem. any complex molecular structure, as DNA or RNA, that serves as a pattern in the synthesis of another complex molecular structure
Origin: altered (infl. by plate) from templet from Fr, diminutive of temple from Classical Latin templum, small timber, purlin, akin to temple
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A pattern or gauge, such as a thin metal plate with a cut pattern, used as a guide in making something accurately, as in woodworking or the carving of architectural profiles.
- Computer Science a. A document or file having a preset format, used as a starting point for a particular application so that the format does not have to be recreated each time it is used: a loan amortization template for a spreadsheet program.b. An overlay that fits over all or part of a keyboard and has labels describing the functions of each key within a particular application.
- A horizontal piece of stone or timber used to distribute weight or pressure, as over a door frame.
- Biochemistry A molecule of a nucleic acid, such as DNA, that serves as a pattern for the synthesis of a macromolecule, as of RNA.
Origin: Probably from French templet, diminutive of temple, temple of a loom; see Temple 3.
template - Business Definition
- A reusable form or pattern utilized to create objects with an identical shape. For example, a template is used to spray-paint symbols on a parking lot.
- An electronic document with established margins, text, and graphics that can be used to create standardized documents and records: The business requires employees to file expense statements on a template available on the firm's website.
template - Computer Definition
(1) A pre-designed document or data file formatted for common purposes such as a fax, invoice or business letter. If the document contains an automated process, such as a word processing macro or spreadsheet formula, then the programming is already written and embedded in the appropriate places. It becomes a custom document after filling in the blanks with your data. See style sheet and document.
(2) A model of an application that is customized by the system designer. See template-based application.
(3) A plastic or stiff paper form placed over the function keys on a keyboard to identify their use.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
template - Medical Definition
- A pattern or gauge, such as a thin metal plate with a cut pattern, used as a guide in making something accurately, as in woodworking.
- A molecule, such as DNA, that serves as a pattern for the synthesis of a macromolecule, as of RNA.
template - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.