- The definition of technical is something having to do with an industrial or mechanical art or an applied science.
An example of technical used as an adjective is the phrase technical jargon which is the language a machinist would use to describe a mechanical issue with another machinist.
technical definition by Webster's New World
- having to do with the practical, industrial, or mechanical arts or the applied sciences: a technical school
- of, used in, or peculiar to a specific science, art, profession, craft, etc.; specialized: technical vocabulary
- skilled in a particular science, art, etc.: a technical assistant
- of, in, or showing technique: technical skill
- in terms of some science, art, etc.; according to principles or rules: a technical difference
- concerned with or making use of technicalities or minute, formal points
- Finance designating or of a market in which stock prices are sharply affected by short-run, speculative considerations: technical rally
Origin: technic plush -al
- technically adverb
technical definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or derived from technique.
- a. Having special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field: a technical adviser.b. Used in or peculiar to a specific field or profession; specialized: technical terminology.
- a. Belonging or relating to a particular subject: technical expertise.b. Of, relating to, or involving the practical, mechanical, or industrial arts or the applied sciences: a technical school.
- a. Abstract or theoretical: a technical analysis.b. Of, relating to, or employing the methodology of science; scientific.
- According to principle; formal rather than practical: a technical advantage.
- Industrial and mechanical; technological.
- Relating to or based on analysis of market indicators, such as trading volume and fluctuations in securities prices, rather than underlying economic conditions such as corporate earnings, inflation, and unemployment: a technical correction in the stock market.
Origin: From Greek tekhnikos, of art, from tekhnē, art; see teks- in Indo-European roots.
- techˈni·cal·ly adverb
- techˈni·cal·ness noun