- The definition of a subway is an underground train system, or an underground passage.
- The Washington, DC Metro is an example of a subway.
- The tunnel that a New York City train runs through is an example of a subway.
subway definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an underground way or passage
- Chiefly Brit. an underpass for pedestrians
- ☆ an underground, metropolitan electric railway or the tunnel through which it runs
subway definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An underground urban railroad, usually operated by electricity.b. A passage for such a railroad.
- An underground tunnel or passage, as for a water main or for pedestrians.