A homeless person who lives as a derelict.
Origin of skellOrigin unknown
- (slang, US, New York) a homeless person, especially one who sleeps in the New York subway.
- Did you see those two skells lying in the doorway?
- (slang, US, New York) (informal police jargon) A male suspicious person or crime suspect, especially a street person such as a drug dealer, pimp or panhandler. (Compare scumbag.) Popularized on the American TV police drama NYPD Blue.
(third-person singular simple present skells, present participle skelling, simple past and past participle skelled)
- (slang) To fall off or fall over
- She went skelling over on the ice.