- an official certificate; esp., any of various customs documents required of motorists crossing certain national borders
- a book of tickets for a bus, subway, etc.
Origin of carnetFrench
- An official pass or permit, especially one for crossing national boundaries.
- A book of postage stamps.
Origin of carnetFrench notebook, carnet from Old French quernet pocket notebook from quaer quire ; see quire 1.
- (law) A customs document that allows the temporary duty-free importation of a particular article
- A collection of travel tickets in the form of a booklet that is sold at a discount
From French carnet (“notebook”), from Middle French quernet (“group of four sheets”)