- a masculine name
- name of the ruling family of Scotland (1371-1603) & of England & Scotland (1603-1714) except during the Commonwealth (1649-60)
Origin of Stuartfrom the surname Stuart from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old English stiweard: see steward
- 1720-88; Eng. prince: grandson of James II: called The Young Pretender, Bonnie Prince Charlie
- 1755-1828; U.S. portrait painter
- (called Jeb Stuart) 1833-64; Confederate general
- 1688-1766; Eng. prince: son of James II: called The Old Pretender
Ruling house of Scotland (1371-1603) and of England and Scotland (1603-1649 and 1660-1714).