- Tax breaks that encourage business development are an example of a stimulant.
- A cup of coffee is an example of a stimulant.
- When you take cocaine and it gets your neurons firing faster, the cocaine is an example of a stimulant.
The definition of a stimulant is something that raises activity and interest levels, or raises the level of physiological or nervous activity in the body.
that stimulates; stimulating
Origin of stimulantClassical Latin stimulans, present participle
anything that stimulates; specif.,
- any drug, medicine, etc., as an amphetamine, caffeine, nicotine, or cocaine, that temporarily increases the activity of some vital process, organ, or system, esp. the nervous system
- popularly an alcoholic drink: alcohol is physiologically a depressant
- An agent, especially a chemical agent such as caffeine, that temporarily arouses or accelerates physiological or organic activity.
- A stimulus or an incentive: “An age of political excitement is usually a stimulant to literature” ( Will Durant )
- A food or drink, especially an alcoholic drink, believed to have a stimulating effect.
Serving as or being a stimulus; stimulating.
- Acting as a stimulant.