- The definition of stand-up is upright, or done in a standing position, or is slang for being loyal to friends and beliefs.
- An example of something stand-up is a tall, towering tree.
- An example of stand-up is a comedian in a comedy club; a stand-up comedian.
- An example of someone who is stand-up is a person who supports their principles, even when it is not popular; a stand-up person.
- standing upright or erect
- done, taken, etc. in a standing position: a stand-up lunch
- high, stiff, and without folds: said of a collar
- ☆ designating or of a comedian who delivers monologues, tells a series of jokes, etc., as in nightclubs
- Slang designating or having to do with a loyal, courageous person who will stand up resolutely for friends, principles, etc.: a stand-up guy
(comparative more stand-up, superlative most stand-up)
- Honest; honorable.
- He's a stand-up guy, and a hard worker.
- Upright; while standing.
- stand-up comedy
- Performed while standing although normally done while sitting.
- every morning we have a stand-up meeting
- (baseball, of a hit) That allows the batter to advance to a given base (usually second or third) without having to slide.
- stand-up double
- stand-up triple
(countable and uncountable, plural stand-ups)
- (uncountable) A performance of stand-up comedy; jokes delivered standing on a stage
- Sometimes the club has music, sometimes stand-up.
- (countable) A short meeting performed while standing up.
- How come you weren't at the stand-up this morning?