- The definition of stand-up is upright, or done in a standing position, or is slang for being loyal to friends and beliefs.
- An example of something stand-up is a tall, towering tree.
- An example of stand-up is a comedian in a comedy club; a stand-up comedian.
- An example of someone who is stand-up is a person who supports their principles, even when it is not popular; a stand-up person.
- standing upright or erect
- done, taken, etc. in a standing position: a stand-up lunch
- high, stiff, and without folds: said of a collar
- ☆ designating or of a comedian who delivers monologues, tells a series of jokes, etc., as in nightclubs
- Slang designating or having to do with a loyal, courageous person who will stand up resolutely for friends, principles, etc.: a stand-up guy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
stand-up - Phrases/Idioms
Remain valid, sound, or durable, as in His claim will not stand up in court, or Our old car stood up well over time. [Mid-1900s]