south poleSouth Pole
- the place where the southern rotational axis intersects the surface of a planet, moon, etc.
- the zenith of such a place; esp., the zenith (south celestial pole) of this place on earth
- that end of a straight magnet that points to the south when the magnet hangs free
- [S- P-] the place on earth where its southern rotational axis intersects its surfacein full South Terrestrial Pole
- a. The southern end of the earth's axis of rotation, a point in Antarctica.b. The celestial zenith of this terrestrial point.c. south pole The southern end of the axis of rotation of a planet or other celestial body.
- south pole The south-seeking magnetic pole of a straight magnet.
(plural south poles)
- attributive form of south pole, noun.
- south-pole Martians