An example of solicitude is when a friend cares about you and brings you chicken soup when you are sick.
- the state of being solicitous; care, concern, etc.; sometimes, excessive care or concern
- [pl.] causes of care or concern
Origin of solicitudeMiddle English from Classical Latin sollicitudo
- The state of being solicitous; care or concern, as for the well-being of another.
- A cause of concern: “Our party went off extremely well. There were many solicitudes, alarms & vexations beforehand of course” ( Jane Austen )
(usually uncountable, plural solicitudes)
- The state of being solicitous; uneasiness of mind occasioned by fear of evil or desire for good; anxiety.
- A feeling of excessive concern.