- of a country or place: Javanese
- in the language or dialect of: Cantonese
- in the style of: Carlylese
- a person born or living in: Portuguese
- the language or dialect of: Brooklynese
- the style of or the jargon associated with: often used jocularly or derogatorily to form nonce words: journalese
OFr -eis, It -ese < L -ensis
See ESE in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Of, relating to, characteristic of, or originating in a specified place: Vietnamese.
- Native or inhabitant of: Taiwanese.
a. Language or dialect of: Chinese.
b. Literary style or diction of: journalese.
Origin: Middle English
Origin: , from Italian
Origin: , from Latin -ēnsis, originating in