- a niche or other setting for a statue, picture, or other object arousing or designed to arouse devotion
- a small area or structure arranged for private devotion
- a place revered as the place of death or burial of a saint or other venerable personage
- a place revered as the site of a reported supernatural apparition, miraculous occurrence, etc.
- any of certain churches or chapels often visited by pilgrims, specif. by those seeking special spiritual help, cures, etc.
- any site or structure used in worship or devotion; esp., an area or a temple or templelike structure used in the worship of one or more deities
- a place or structure esteemed for its importance or centrality as in history or the arts
- a place or structure designed as a memorial to someone or something
ME schrin < OE scrin < L scrinium, chest, box, orig., a round container < IE *(s)krei- < base *(s)ker-, to turn: see shrink
transitive verb shrined, shrining