- a person or thing that shakes
- a device used in shaking: a cocktail shaker
Origin of shakershort for earlier Shaking Quaker: so named because of trembling caused by emotional stress of devotions: see Quaker[S-] a member of a religious sect that flourished in the 19th cent., practicing celibacy and owning common property for community living
- a. One that shakes: a shaker of long-held beliefs and traditions.b. One that impels, encourages, or supervises action.
- a. A container used for shaking: salt and pepper shakers.b. A container used to mix or blend by shaking: a cocktail shaker.
- Shaker A member of a Christian sect originating in England in 1747, practicing communal living and observing celibacy.
Hancock Shaker Village