- any movement in the market prices of securities that forces speculators to sell their holdings
- any drop in economic activity that eliminates marginal or unprofitable businesses, products, etc.
- A reduction or elimination of competing businesses or products in a particular field.
- A decline in a securities market that forces speculators to sell their positions, often at a loss.
- An event that causes marginal constituents to be eliminated.
- The dot-com shakeout of the 1990s left only the most durable, most profitable, and most well backed companies surviving.
- (engineering) The separation of molds from their flask, the castings from the molding sand, and potentially the cores from the castings.