mover and shakermover and shaker
a person who has power and influence: usually used in pl.
mover and shaker
nounpl. movers and shakers
One who wields power and influence in a sphere of activity: “the importance of hanging out with the movers and shakers of the art world” (Richard Colvin).
(plural movers and shakers)
- (idiomatic) someone who has power and influence in some field or activity.
- The sales team sought to talk to the movers and shakers within an organization, rather than to their underlings.
- He really is a mover and a shaker in those circles.
- (idiomatic) The people in an organization who are most responsible for getting things done.
- This term is used predominantly in the plural.