seventh definition by Webster's New World
- preceded by six others in a series; 7th
- designating any of the seven equal parts of something
Origin: Middle English seventhe, a new formation ; from seoven plush -th, replacing Old English seofande (akin to German siebente) and amp; seofotha
- the one following the sixth
- any of the seven equal parts of something;
- the seventh tone of an ascending diatonic scale, or a tone six degrees above or below any given tone in such a scale; leading tone; subtonic
- the interval between two such tones, or a combination of them
- the chord formed by any tone and the third, fifth, and seventh of which it is the fundamentalin full seventh chord
- seventhly adverb
seventh definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The ordinal number matching the number seven in a series.
- One of seven equal parts.
- Music An interval encompassing seven diatonic degrees.
Origin: Middle English, alteration of sefende, from Old English seofunda, from seofon, seven; see seven.
- sevˈenth adverb & adj.