- defense of oneself or of one's rights, beliefs, actions, etc.
- the skill of boxing
- Law the right to defend oneself with whatever force is reasonably necessary against actual or threatened violence
See self-defense in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Defense of oneself when physically attacked: took a course in self-defense.
- Defense of what belongs to oneself, as one's works or reputation.
- Law The right to protect oneself against violence or threatened violence with whatever force or means are reasonably necessary.
- selfˌ-de·fenˈsive adjective
Learn more about self-defense