- defense of oneself or of one's rights, beliefs, actions, etc.
- the skill of boxingused chiefly in the phrase manly art of self-defense
- Law the right to defend oneself with whatever force is reasonably necessary against actual or threatened violence
- Defense of oneself when physically attacked: took a course in self-defense.
- Defense of what belongs to oneself, as one's works or reputation.
- Law The use of force against another person as permitted by the law when that person is perceived as presenting an immediate or imminent threat to one's own life or safety.
self- +"Ž defense
self-defense - Legal Definition
Description of actions taken to protect oneself, as in a shooting of a perpetrator by a police officer upon whom the perpetrator has pulled a gun.