sector[sek′tər; occas., -tôr′]
- The definition of a sector is a separate or distinct area or part of something larger.
The part of the economy controlled by technology companies is an example of the tech sector.
- part of a circle bounded by any two radii and the arc included between them
- a mathematical instrument consisting of two rulers marked with various scales and jointed together at one end, used in solving problems, measuring angles, etc.
- any of the districts into which an area is divided for military operations
- a distinct part of society or of an economy, group, area, etc.; section; segment
Origin of sectorLate Latin ; from Classical Latin cutter ; from sectus, past participle of secare, to cut: see saw
- A part or division, as of a city or a national economy: the manufacturing sector.
- Mathematics a. The portion of a circle bounded by two radii and the included arc.b. A measuring instrument consisting of two graduated arms hinged together at one end.
- Computers A portion of a magnetic storage device making up the smallest addressable unit of information.
- a. A division of a defensive position for which one military unit is responsible.b. A division of an offensive military position.
transitive verbsec·tored, sec·tor·ing, sec·tors
Origin of sectorLate Latin, from Latin, cutter, from sectus, past participle of secāre, to cut; see sek- in Indo-European roots.
- Zone (designated area).
- (geometry) A part of a circle, extending to the center.
- (computing) A fixed-sized unit (traditionally 512 bytes) of sequential data stored on a track of a digital medium (compare to block).
- (military) An area designated by boundaries within which a unit operates, and for which it is responsible.
- (military) One of the subdivisions of a coastal frontier.
- (science fiction) A fictional region of space designated for navigational or governance purposes; for instance, W:Sector (Star Trek), W:List of Star Wars sectors.
- (calculation) An instrument consisting of two rulers of equal length joined by a hinge.
- A field of activity.
- public sector; private sector
sector - Computer Definition
sector - Investment & Finance Definition
A group of companies that are in the same industry. For instance, there is a technology sector and a health care sector.