- a sailor; mariner
- U.S. Navy an enlisted person ranking below a petty officer third class, whose general duties involve most ships' equipment other than boilers and engines
Origin of seamanMiddle English seeman from Old English sæman: see sea and man
- A mariner or sailor.
- a. A noncommissioned rank in the US Navy or Coast Guard that is above seaman apprentice and below petty officer.b. One who holds the rank of seaman, seaman apprentice, or seaman recruit.
- A mariner or sailor, one who mans a ship. Opposed to landman or landsman.
- (UK, Navy) The lowest ranking in the Navy, below Able Seaman.
- (US, Navy) An enlisted rate in the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard, ranking below petty officer third class and above seaman apprentice.
- A merman; the male of the mermaid.
- Not to mention mermaids or seamen. "” Locke.