- The definition of a scowl is a gloomy or intimidating look.
An example of scowl is what an angry clown may wear on his face in a haunted house.
- Scowl is defined as to wrinkle the eyebrows to show disapproval or anger.
An example of scowl is for a father to look at his daughter disapprovingly after she tells a blatant lie.
A scowling man.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to contract the eyebrows and lower the corners of the mouth in showing displeasure; look angry, irritated, or sullen
- to have a threatening look; lower
Origin: Middle English scoulen, probably from Scand, as inch(es) Danish skule, inch(es) same sense, akin to Middle High German schulen, to be hidden, lurk from Indo-European an unverified form (s)kulo-, concealment from base an unverified form (s)keu-, to cover
- the act or expression of scowling; angry frown
- a threatening aspect
- scowler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb scowled, scowl·ing, scowls verb, intransitive
Origin: Middle English scoulen, probably of Scandinavian origin.
- scowlˈer noun
- scowlˈing·ly adverb