- turning around a central point or axis, as a wheel; rotating
- having a rotating part or parts
- having blades that rotate on a hub rather than a reel: a rotary lawn mower
- occurring around an axis: rotary motion
Origin of rotaryMedieval Latin rotarius from Classical Latin rota, wheel: see roll
- a rotary machine or engine
- [R-] Rotary Club
- traffic circle
Of, relating to, causing, or characterized by rotation, especially around an axis.
- A part or device that rotates around an axis.
- Chiefly New England See traffic circle.
Origin of rotaryMedieval Latin rotārius from Latin rota wheel ; see ret- in Indo-European roots.
- Having or being capable of having rotation.
- A rotary engine revolves the heads rather than having pistons go back and forth.
- (New England) A traffic circle.
- Usually with a capital initial, short for Rotary movement, an international club for community service.