- a person or thing that rolls (in various senses)
- any of various rolling cylinders or wheels; specif.,
- a cylinder of metal, wood, etc. over which something is rolled for easier movement
- a cylinder on which something is rolled up or wound: the roller of a shade, a hair roller
- a heavy cylinder of metal, stone, etc. used to crush or smooth something
- a cylinder covered with a napped fabric, fixed on a tool with a handle and used for applying paint
- Printing a cylinder, usually of hard rubber, for spreading ink on the form just before the paper is impressed
- a long bandage in a roll
- a heavy, swelling wave that breaks on the shoreline
- any of various birds that roll (in various senses); specif.,
- any of a family (Coraciidae) of Old World, tropical coraciiform birds that roll and tumble in flight, as the Eurasian roller (Coracias garrulus)
- a canary that rolls, or trills, its notes
of or having to do with roller skating: roller rink
- One that rolls or performs a rolling operation or activity.
- Any of various cylindrical or spherical devices that roll or rotate, especially:a. A small spokeless wheel, such as that of a roller skate or caster.b. An elongated cylinder on which something, such as a window shade or towel, is wound.c. A heavy revolving cylinder that is used to level, crush, or smooth.d. Printing A cylinder, usually of hard rubber, used to ink the type before the paper is impressed.e. A cylinder of wire mesh, foam rubber, or other material around which a strand of hair is wound to produce a soft curl or wave.
- A long rolled bandage.
- A heavy swelling wave that breaks on a coast.
- A tumbler pigeon.
- Any of various Eurasian, African, or Australian birds of the genera Coracias and Eurystomus, characteristically having bright blue wings, stocky bodies, and hooked bills. They are noted for their habit of rolling and twisting in flight, especially during display flights.
- A breed of canary kept for its soft, trilling song.
Origin of rollerGerman from rollen to roll, burble ; see rollmops .
- anything that rolls
- any rotating cylindrical device that is part of a machine, especially one used to apply or reduce pressure
- (cricket) a heavy rolling device used to flatten the surface of the pitch
- a large, wide, curling wave that falls back on itself as it breaks on a coast
- a cylindrical tool for applying paint or ink
- an agricultural machine used for flattening land and breaking up lumps of earth
- a bread or variety of roller pigeon that rolls (i.e. tumbles or somersaults) backwards (cf. Penson roller, Birmingham roller, tumbler, tumbler pigeon, English Short Faced Tumbler, English Long Faced Tumbler)
- any of various aggressive birds, of the family Coraciidae, having bright blue wings and hooked beaks
- (also written Roller) a car made by Rolls-Royce
- the police (old blues slang)
- a padded surcingle that is used on horses for training and vaulting
- (TV, film) A roll of titles or (especially) credits played over film or video; television or film credits.
- One of a set of small cylindrical tubes used to curl hair
roll + -er
- (slang) A Rolls-Royce car