The french fries, chicken sandwich and cola cost $3, $5 and $2 respectively.
An example of respectively is what one might say instead of "in that order" in "Alice is 5 and James is 7, in that order."
(comparative more respectively, superlative most respectively)
- In a relative manner; often used when comparing lists, where the term denotes that the items in the lists correspond to each other in the order they are given.
- Serena Williams and Roger Federer won the women's and men's singles titles, respectively, at the 2010 Australian Open.
- respective +"Ž -ly
- First, second, and third place in the competition went to Alex, Michael, and John, respectively.
- In April and May, the profits grew 18% and 29%, respectively.
- Kate and Daniel are 13 and 14 years old, respectively.
- David's first and second vacations were Disney World and Chicago, respectively.
- The two which drain the largest basin are the Chi Manuk and the Chi Tarum, both rising in the eastern end of the province and flowing northeast and north-west respectively to the Java Sea.