repast[ri past′, -päst′]
- Repast is the food and drink at a meal.
An example of a repast is the small meal eaten from a lunchbox during a worker's day.
- food and drink for a meal
- a meal
- the eating of food, as at a meal
- Obsolete food
Origin of repastMiddle English ; from Old French ; from re-, re- + past, food ; from Classical Latin pastus ; from past participle of pascere, to feed: see food
verbre·past·ed, re·past·ing, re·pasts
verb, transitive Obsolete
Origin of repastMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin repāstus, from past participle of repāscere, to feed : re-, re- + Latin pāscere, to feed; see pā- in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural repasts)
(third-person singular simple present repasts, present participle repasting, simple past and past participle repasted)
- (obsolete) To supply food to; to feast.
- (obsolete, intransitive) To take food.