The definition of punchy is something forceful or with a strong impact.
An example of punchy is a strong sound made by an instrument that affects audiences.
- forceful; vigorous
- Characterized by vigor or drive: “He speaks in short, punchy sentences, using plain, populist words that excite” ( Washington Post )
- Groggy or dazed from or as if from a punch or series of punches; punch-drunk.
(comparative punchier, superlative punchiest)
- Having a punch; effective; forceful; spirited; vigorous.
- Behaving or appearing punch drunk.
- (figuratively, of a person) Being over-reactive to routine events.
- I was so sleep deprived I was starting to get punchy.
- (skiing) A term used by Nordic skiers (especially skate skiers) to describe groomed snow that does not support the weight of a skier, especially when the skier's weight is all on one ski, resulting a ski punching through the surface of the snow.
- (dated) short and thick; fat; paunchy