- the process of working clay, etc. into a puddle
- the process of making wrought iron from pig iron by heating and stirring it in the presence of oxidizing agents
Origin of puddlingfrom puddle
- Purification of impure metal, especially pig iron, by heating and stirring in an oxidizing atmosphere.
- Compaction of wet material, such as clay, in order to make a watertight paste.
- The action of making a puddle.
- The process of working clay, loam, pulverized ore, etc., with water, to render it compact, or impervious to liquids.
- (canal engineering) The act of lining a canal with puddle to make it watertight.
- (metallurgy, historical) The first true industrial process to produce steel from pig iron.
- A group of mallards (ducks).
- Present participle of puddle.