- One who converts cast iron into wrought iron by the process of puddling.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Websterâ€™s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
puddle +â€Ž -er
Variant of puddle
- a small pool of water, esp. stagnant, spilled, or muddy water
- a thick mixture of clay, and sometimes sand, with water, that is impervious to water
Origin of puddleMiddle English podel, diminutive ; from Old English pudd, ditch, akin to Low German pudel
transitive verbpuddled, puddling
- to make muddy
- to make a thick mixture of (wet clay and sand)
- to cover with such a mixture to keep water from penetrating
- to treat (iron) by puddling