See Proverbs in Ologies
See also wisdom.
a maxim, axiom, proverb, or old saying.
1. a fragment or extract from literature.
2. a collection of teachings, as the Analects of Confucius.
a terse saying embodying a general truth, as “Time flies.” —aphorist, n. —aphorismic, aphorismical, aphoristic, adj.
a creator of short, pithy instructive sayings; aphorist. —apothegmatic, apophthegmatic, apothegmatical, apophthegmatical, adj. —apothegm, apophthegm, n.
a trite saying; a platitude.
a pithy statement, often containing a paradox. —epigrammatist, n.
1. a collection or anthology of gnomes, or aphorisms.
2. aphoristic writing.
maxims or sayings attributed to a religious leader. See also christ.
a short, pithy statement that serves as a motto. —maximist, n.
a rhetorical proverb. —paroemiac, adj.
1. the writing of proverbs.
2. the collecting of proverbs. —paroemiographer, n.
the study of proverbs. —paroemiologist, paremiologist, n.
1. proverbs taken as a group.
2. proverbs taken as a field of study. —proverbiologist, n. —proverbiological, adj.
an aphorism or witty saying.
Learn more about Proverbs