- a proscribing or being proscribed
- prohibition or interdiction
Origin of proscriptionMiddle English proscripcioun from Classical Latin proscriptio from proscriptus, past participle
- The act of proscribing; prohibition.
- The condition of having been proscribed; outlawry.
Origin of proscriptionMiddle English proscripcion from Latin prōscrīptiō prōscrīptiōn- public notice of outlawry from prōscrīptus past participle of prōscrībere to proscribe ; see proscribe .
- Do not confuse with prescription
Middle English proscripcion, from Latin prÅscrÄ«ptiÅ, from prÅscrÄ«bÅ (originally "publish in writing"), from prÅ- and scrÄ«bÅ (“write").