- Promulgated is defined as promoted or made something widely known, or put a law into effect by official proclamation.
- An example of promulgated is when a missionary spreads the ideas of a church and makes them more widely known.
- An example of promulgated is when a governor officially signs a law banning texting and the law is proclaimed to be in effect.
- simple past tense and past participle of promulgate
Variant of promulgate
transitive verbpromulgated, promulgating
- to publish or make known officially (a decree, church dogma, etc.)
- to make known the terms of (a new or proposed law or statute)
- to put (a law) into effect by publishing its terms
- to make widespread: to promulgate learning and culture
Origin of promulgate; from Classical Latin promulgatus, past participle of promulgare, to publish ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps