An example of something prohibitive is an high ticket price keeping fans from seeing a concert; a prohibitive price.
- prohibiting or tending to prohibit something
- such as to prevent purchase, use, etc.: often used in comb.: cost-prohibitive
Origin of prohibitiveFrench prohibitif from Late Latin prohibitivus
- Prohibiting; forbidding: took prohibitive measures.
- So high or burdensome as to discourage purchase or use: prohibitive prices.
- So likely to win as to discourage competition: the prohibitive favorite to win the nomination.
(comparative more prohibitive, superlative most prohibitive)
prohibit +"Ž -ive