- Pornography is written, printed or video material that contains sexually explicit images or content that some people find to be arousing.
An example of pornography is a movie depicting men and women having sex that is intended to get you sexually excited.
- writings, pictures, etc. intended primarily to arouse sexual desire
- the production of such writings, pictures, etc.
Origin of pornography; from Classical Greek pornographos, writing about prostitutes ; from pornē, a prostitute, origin, originally a euphemism, literally , (something) sold, akin to pernēmi, to sell (esp. as a slave, or for a bribe) ; from Indo-European base an unverified form per-, to sell, bring across, come over from source fare + Classical Greek graphein, to write: see graphic
- Sexually explicit writing, images, video, or other material whose primary purpose is to cause sexual arousal.
- Lurid or sensational material. Often used in combination: violence pornography.
Origin of pornographyFrench pornographie, from pornographe, pornographer, from Late Greek pornographos, writing about prostitutes : pornē, prostitute; see per-5 in Indo-European roots + graphein, to write; see –graphy.
(usually uncountable, plural pornographies)
From Ancient Greek Ï€Î¿ÏÎ½Î¿Î³ÏÎ¬Ï†Î¿Ï‚ (pornographos), from Ï€ÏŒÏÎ½Î· (pornÄ“, “prostitute") + Î³ÏÎ¬Ï†Ï‰ (graphÅ, “I write").
pornography - Legal Definition