Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a small wheel with variously colored vanes of paper, etc., pinned to a stick so as to revolve in the wind
- a fireworks device that revolves and throws off colored lights when set off
to rotate as a pinwheel does; whirl; spin
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A toy consisting of vanes of colored paper or plastic pinned to a stick so that they revolve when blown on.
- A firework that forms a rotating wheel of colored flames. Also called catherine wheel.
- A wheel with a circle of pins at right angles to its face, used as a tripping device.