- Old-fashioned any of various child's toys that whirl or spin, as a pinwheel or top
- something that seems to whirl, or revolve in a cycle
- a whirling motion or course
Origin of whirligigMiddle English whirlgigge: see whirl and amp; gig
- Any of various spinning toys.
- A carousel; a merry-go-round.
- Something that continuously whirls.
- A whirligig beetle.
Origin of whirligigMiddle English whirlegigge : whirlen, whirl; see whirl + -gigge, something that rotates (possibly of Scandinavian origin; akin to gig1).
Middle English whirlegigge.