Two women gossiping.
The definition of a perfidy is a deliberate betrayal.
An example of a perfidy is spreading a best friend's secrets all over town.
the deliberate breaking of faith; betrayal of trust; treachery
Origin of perfidyFrench perfidie ; from Classical Latin perfidia ; from perfidus, faithless ; from per fidem (decipi), (to deceive) through faith ; from per (see per) + fides, faith
- Deliberate breach of faith; calculated violation of trust; treachery: “the fink, whose perfidy was equaled only by his gall” (Gilbert Millstein).
- The act or an instance of treachery.
Origin of perfidyLatin perfidia, from perfidus, treacherous : per-, to destruction; see per– + fid&emacron;s, faith; see bheidh- in Indo-European roots.
- A state or act of violating faith or allegiance; violation of a promise or vow, or of trust reposed; faithlessness; treachery.
- (law) Specifically, in warfare, an illegitimate act of deception, such as using symbols like the Red Cross or white flag to gain proximity to an enemy for purposes of attack.
- A state or act of deceit.