- The definition of a pedestal is a foot, base or support for a column, pillar or lamp.
An example of a pedestal is a pillar on which a piece of art is displayed.
Flowers on a pedestal.
pedestal definition by Webster's New World
- the foot or bottom support of a column or pillar
- a similar base on a lamp, statue, etc.
- a columnlike stand for displaying a piece of sculpture or other decorative article
Origin: French piédestal ; from Italian piedestallo ; from piè (; from Classical Latin pes), foot plush di, of plush stal (; from Germanic an unverified form stal, stall), a rest, place
pedestal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An architectural support or base, as for a column or statue.
- A support or foundation.
- A position of high regard or adoration.
Origin: Obsolete French, from Italian piedestallo : piè, foot (from Latin pēs; see pedi-) + di, of (from Latin dē; see de-) + stallo, stall (of Germanic origin; see stel- in Indo-European roots).
pedestal - Phrases/Idioms
put on a pedestalor set on a pedestal