- Present participle of patrol.
Variant of patrol
intransitive verbpatrolled, patrolling
to make a regular and repeated circuit of (an area, town, camp, etc.) in guarding or inspecting
Origin of patrolFrench patrouiller, altered ; from Old French patouiller, to paddle, puddle, patrol ; from pate, paw: see patois
- the act of patrolling
- a person or persons patrolling
- a small group of soldiers sent on a mission, as for reconnaissance
- a group of ships, airplanes, etc. used in guarding
- a subdivision of a troop of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts
Origin of patrolFr patrouille < the v.