- Paraphrasing is defined as restating something in a shorter version, or expressing the meaning of something using different words.
When you explain what an essay said by using different words and shortening the text, this is an example of paraphrasing the essay.
Variant of paraphrase
- a rewording of something spoken or written, usually for the purpose of making its meaning clearer
- the use of this as a literary or teaching device
- an approximate rendering of a quotation, saying, etc. whose exact words cannot be cited or recalled
- a free reworking of a musical text or composition
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin paraphrasis from Glassical Greek from paraphrazein, to say inch(es) other words: see para- and amp; phrase
- paraphraser noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.