- The definition of a pander is someone who provides what is required to meet the ambitions or vices of another.
An example of a pander is a scam artist.
- To pander is to provide what is necessary by others due to their low level of taste or their weaknesses.
An example of to pander is for someone to lower their standards and agree to perform illegal acts.
- a go-between in a sexual intrigue; esp., a procurer; pimp
- a person who provides the means of helping to satisfy the ignoble ambitions or desires, vices, etc. of another
Origin of pander; from Middle English Pandare, Pandarus ; from Classical Latin Pandarus
intransitive verbpan·dered, pan·der·ing, pan·ders
- To act as a go-between or liaison in sexual intrigues; function as a procurer.
- To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses: “He refused to pander to nostalgia and escapism” (New York Times).
Origin of panderMiddle English Pandare, Pandarus, from Old Italian Pandaro, from Latin Pandarus, from Greek Pandaros.
(third-person singular simple present panders, present participle pandering, simple past and past participle pandered)
pander - Legal Definition