Origin of owlMiddle English owle from Old English ule, akin to German eule from Indo-European echoic base an unverified form ul- from source Classical Latin ulula, owl, ululare, to howl
A great horned owl.
A flat-faced bird that comes out at night and hoots is an example of an owl.
- Any of various often nocturnal birds of prey of the order Strigiformes, having hooked and feathered talons, a large head with a short hooked beak, large eyes set forward, and fluffy plumage that allows for almost noiseless flight.
- Any of several breeds of domestic pigeons having a very short beak somewhat like that of an owl and often a frill of feathers on the chest.
Origin of owlMiddle English owle from Old English ūle of imitative origin
From Middle English owle, from Old English Å«le, from Proto-Germanic *uwwalÇ (compare West Frisian Ã»le, Dutch uil, Danish ugle, German Eule), diminutive of *uwwÅn "˜eagle-owl' (compare German Uhu), of imitative origin or a variant of *Å«faz, *Å«fÅn (compare Swedish uv "˜horned owl', Bavarian Auf), from Proto-Indo-European *up- (compare Latvian Å©pis "˜eagle-owl', Czech ÃºpÄ›ti "˜to wail, howl', Avestan ufyeimi "˜to call out') .
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- (computing) Initialism of Web Ontology Language.
owl - Computer Definition
(1) (Web Ontology Language) A comprehensive language that is used to define the vocabulary in an RDF data model. A superset of the RDFS language, every OWL document is an RDF document, but OWL Lite and OWL DL (OWL Description Logistics) are subsets (see RDFS). Why Is This OWL Instead of WOL? Because OWL sounds catchier and is also reminiscent of William A. Martin's One World Language project of the 1970s. See RDF, SPARQL and Semantic Web.
(2) (ObjectWindows Library) A class library of Windows objects from Borland that serves as an application framework for developing Windows applications in C++. It is the Borland counterpart of the Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC).
- My, aren't you the night owl tonight - the boy who has been dancing with me half the night.
- I got the owl so's you'd know we give a hoot.
- She wanted to make sure her stuffed owl SB was being hugged and Alice watered.
- The Ecuadorean owl is the Bubo nigrescens.
- A southern portion of this zone, comprising a narrow strip along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida and up the Atlantic coast to South Carolina, is semi-tropical, and is the northernmost habitation of several small mammals, the alligator (Alligator mississippiensis), the ground dove, white-tailed kite, Florida screech owl and Chapman s night-hawk.